G-IKON, a VANS RV-4

I am building a VANS RV-4 aircraft. If your not involved in homebuilt aircraft it wont be too interesting, but if you are a part of that elite group it just might be. My intention is to include ONLY the interesting details, so the rate of change will be quite slow!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

 

Jacking

I am getting down to a shorter list of tasks before the wings are installed for the last time. I am beginning to get to the items on the list I either don't know how to do, or don't want to do.

I had forgotten to drill the axles for the cotter pins earlier in the build so now I have to do it scrabbling around on the floor, which is the bit I don't like. I had an additional problem in that I had no idea how to lift a wheel off the ground so I could set the tension in the bearing. I am sure it has been done before this way but I have never seen it mentioned. I simply wrapped a bit of old car inner tube around the leg to protect it, and tightened a jubilee clip around that. It could not have been cheaper or simpler. There is no risk of an accident because the wheel is only just off the ground.
I thought the jubilee clip might distort but its fine. I think I will put the jubilee and inner tube in my travel kit, together with a spare inner tube. I will borrow a bottle jack when I have the need. Its heavy!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker